Saturday, August 04, 2007

Fanboy History....Seduction of the Innocent: Ep.2 Anime

I decided to create an anime subset because it's easier to write and to read.

I do recall watching Gatchaman (before G-Force comes about) and Macross, Mospeda, Southern Cross (before Robotech) during lower primary and King Arthur and The Knights of The Round Table in my kindergarten days.

I believe I watched Gold Lighthan entirely because I was P4 (or it could be P6) then and they shown it around 6pm. There's also Gordon the Warrior but I found it to be quite boring despite the rather interesting Robot combination.

There's Godmars too and I found it disappointing because I catch bits and end of it because school. I also watch odds and bits of Captain Harlock, the Force Five Stuff (Gaiking, Getter Robo G, Spaceketeers, Danguard Ace and Grendaizer) and of course Voltron(Lions and Vehicles). The best was, of course in my Primary School days, the Japanese Transformers which I followed almost every episode for Masterforce and latter half of V for Victory.

Subsequently I bought a HK anime magazine A-Club #107 and the interest grew (which led to manga, the first purchase of Dragonball). I am probably in p5 then.

Meanwhile, TV3 is no longer available after we moved (but prior to that, they aren't showing anything new) to Tampines at '93.

TCS8 then start showing anime at midnight/late night. We tried to tape shows on the VCR but the VCR consistantly broke down on and off. It started with a bloody good anime (unlike the pussy stuff they are showing on Arts Central right now), a movie that got spliced and shown over days. It's called the Blade of Kamui. A title/genre that pussy OX will never bring in.
In the morning run, there's Wataru, Borgman and Yoriden Samurai Troopers. Night belt comes with, later on, a rather surprise choice, Record of Lodess which was reknown back in the days as one of the Few Great OVA in Japan. Ch8 is not trying to push any further but at least they commit to show some reasonable stuff like Saber Marionette, Tenchi Muyo TV, Orange Road and Maison Ikkoku.


First Contact: MSG 0083

but I didn't watch any anime proper in japanese dialogue until Gundam 0083 in 1995. It's considered a full contact as we watch it via video tape and it was chinese subbed with Japanese Dialogue.

It's also the first anime which I bought my first OST (and first CD).

The other anime which I watch via videotape are the Dragonball Z movies in Cantonese Dialogue.

First Purchase:

Martian Successor Nadesico

Although considering collective stash, my brother bought MSG: Char's Counterattack before that but this should be the first series ever bought (VCD). It was bought via piece by piece not as a boxset and we watch via PC as we didn't get a vcd player until early '98. That's in '97.

Over time, we slowly build up a collection which apparently we neglected to count....

then we discovered fansub and filesharing. Which is around early '03.
Due to the fact that internet speed was limited, we actually meet up and swop disc to hasten the progress. It's pretty much fun, meeting people and taking something back to enjoy. Oh well.

Now with the progress of internet speed and P2P, we actually hit a new problem.
Raws can be put up almost as fast as the show finished broadcast and go as far as Alaska or anywhere else that has access to the net. With a possibility that, millions of people will be spoiling via their blog posting (with images) and billions of people discussing the episode within a day of broadcast. All done without the broadcaster, the programme producer, the anime house and the sponsors earning a cent or a single rating. While we enjoy our spoils, we could be damning the producers to hell as they struggled to keep the project afloat. A lot of people are thinking, maybe the anime studios are earning alot from licenses. However, how sure are we???

With the Ox in the China Shop (with the likelihood that the OX will break everything), we are not too sure what everything will turn up. There's a strong voice of protest again, after the newspaper reported that a 9 year old was awarded.

I can do without downloading anime. Especially when I saw the OX, great being of inferior products and tasteless actions, smashing their way and trying to bring everyone to Justice.
Justice???
Or Vengance???
Or a road to Business Monopoly???

I don't know but I hope I struck Lottery fast since I know I might come up on that nominal roll.

No comments: