Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Graphical Readings......Hellboy

After giving away the Dreaming (I mean Neil Gaiman's Sandman), I got an urge to start exploring for other (graphic novel/comic) readings.

The spandex stuff? I got Invincible ongoing (Yes it hit Milestone issue 50 last month. Not bad for a book that was almost canceled before the 10th). Seriously I got no need for the DC and Marvel Stuffs. Too many stuff to be collecting, all ended with a TBC Conclusion. Sure, there are a few noteworthy TPB (notice I mentioned TPB. I could never imagine a shelf full of Hardcovers or Absolutes or Other Kitten Killer Equivalents) and I got most of them or read most of them.

June is always a good time to start a collection since Kinokuniya is having a 20% for the month (or so) for the members.

I was going to get something from Dark Horse anyway (it's either Star Wars: Legacy or Hellboy) and with Legacy nowhere sighted, I picked up Hellboy (althought I intended to get vol.1 before May. Strangely it's not stock on the shelves in both Bugis and Orchard shops).

I am at vol. 6 of the TPB of Hellboy (Main Store didn't have vol. 7) and vol. 1 of BRPD and Lobster Johnson. I also get the Hellboy Companion since I can't be bothered reading everything off the net or purchasing everything.

BPRD is a spinoff title of Hellboy that is brought to existence when Hellboy left BRPD (think.....Wolverine & the X-men???) and Lobster Johnson part of the whole "something else" (it's not uncommon for something on the background to surface).

It's funny how Hellboy isn't really an "Action" comic where there's alot of fighting and some narration. In fact there's quite a bit of reading and the action tend to be un-fancy and direct to the point. I kind of like it that way and perhaps it's that which separates Manga from Comics. Mike Mignola's art style was something I would go for. I never really like super fine details sometimes as it would distract people heavily from the narration and sometimes.....your brains would just say "Got it." and you flip the page, discarding all the lines and details the artist's effort.

No comments: